Dr. Carl-Fredrik Westin
Professor, Harvard Medical School
Carl-Fredrik (C-F) Westin is the founding director of the Laboratory of Mathematics in Imaging (LMI, http:// lmi.med.harvard.edu), and he is Professor of Radiology at Harvard Medical School, Boston. Additionally, he has a joint appointment with the MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Cambridge, MA. The Laboratory of Mathematics in Imaging is focused on the application of mathematical theory, analysis, modeling, and signal processing to medical imaging applications.
Dr. Westin’s main direction of research is the development of novel methods for analysis of imaging data. He has been involved in imaging studies, including structural, functional and diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (dMRI) studies since 1996 when he joined Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Over the past two decades, Dr. Westin has developed considerable expertise in all aspects of dMRI. He has (co)-authored over 250 publications, abstracts excluded, in the fields of computer vision, medical image analysis and image guided surgery, of which over 140 are in peer-reviewed international journals. His laboratory is known for developing new algorithms and technology for analysis of dMRI data. During his career, Dr. Westin has mentored five undergraduate students, 22 graduate students, 17 post-doctoral fellows, four medical students, and eight junior faculty. He has served as a Guest Editor on several special issues on image analysis (IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, International Journal of Computer Vision, Signal Processing).
- Medical Image Analysis
- Image Guided Therapy
- Manifold Learning for Imaging
- Diffusion MRI in Schizophrenia
- Diffusion MRI in Autism
- Diffusion MRI in Huntington’s Disease
- Diffusion MRI for Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Scientific communities involvement:
- Editorial Board Journal of Biomedical Informatics
- Area Chair MICCAI: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Program/Review Committee: CVPR, ICCV, MICCAI, ECCV, ICPR, ISBI, MMBIA, etc.
- Area Editor for Pattern Recognition Letters
Conference organization experience:
- Diffusion Tutorials at the conference Medical Image Computer and Computer Assisted Intervations: MICCAI 2007, MICCAI 2008, MICCAI 2009, MICCAI 2010
- Track Chair, World Congress 2009, Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering
- MMBIA 2007: Program Chair (over 100 delegates)
- EUROCAST 2003: Program Chair Neuroimage (over 100 delegates)
- IPMI 2015: Co-chair (over 130 delegates)
Department of Radiology, 1249 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215